The three-year annualized return for the index is reported at 4.55% versus 13.61% for the S&P 500. The three-year result could be thought of as discouraging for the next time the stock market is up a lot.
In thinking about the above numbers it is important to remember the objective of the fund. QMN is not supposed to look like the stock market. In the last three and half years the S&P 500 has doubled.
If it doubles again over the next three and half years QMN will not go up anywhere near that much, that is not the investment objective. That the fund came out after the S&P 500 doubled might turn out to be very good timing for the launch.
If QMN performs as hoped for then its role in a portfolio would be in a modest weighting as a portfolio diversifier to hopefully offset the effect that stock market volatility is having on the rest of the portfolio.At the time of publication the author held GLD as a client and personal holding. This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV