Like many alternative investment funds the big idea is to have a low correlation to broad indexes like the S&P 500 and more importantly to deliver a consistent return regardless of what the broad market is doing at any given time.
The fund will combine strategies from various, undisclosed market neutral hedge funds and express the exposures that those hedge funds hold with exchange traded funds. The prospectus is clear to say that the QMN is not a fund of hedge funds it is a fund of ETFs. QMN can be long or short various broad segments of the global equity market, fixed income market and currencies.
The fund's literature is also clear to say that the desired result is to look nothing like the stock market. One way to avoid looking like the stock market is to have very little equity exposure and that is the case with QMN.It currently has slightly more than 13% in long equities and most of that exposure is in iShares MSCI EAFE Index Fund (EFA). QMN currently captures a less than 1% short exposure with a long position in ProShares Ultrashort Russell 2000 (TWM). The fund's largest exposure currently is in very short term U.S. bonds with four different ETFs totaling 58% of the fund. One segment that appears to be unavailable to the methodology employed by QMN is the commodity market. At times commodities have a very low correlation to equities. In the last five years as the S&P 500 has declined 6% the SPDR Gold Trust (GLD) is up 136% and the iShares Silver Trust (SLV)is up 152%. Five years is a longer timeframe than most hedge funds think about but commodity exposure might be able to enhance the low correlation effect. The fund factsheet includes information that the index' largest drawdown occurred in 2008 with 6.25% decline versus a 36% decline for the S&P 500. That is encouraging for the next time the stock market goes down a lot.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV