Acadia Pharmaceuticals (ACAD) is a biopharmaceutical company focused on small molecule drugs that address unmet medical needs in neurological and related central nervous system disorders. This stock closed up 11.2% to $2.76 in recent trading.
Thursday's Range: $2.53-$2.8352-Week Range: $0.93-$2.84 Volume: 3.2 million Three-Month Average Volume: 868,275 Shares of ACAD skyrocketed higher after Roth Capital said a recent article in the journal Schizophrenia Research could increase use of ACAD's pimavanserin as an off-label schizophrenia treatment. The firm said the changes made to the current study of the drug compared with previous studies should cause it to yield better results. From a technical perspective, ACAD exploded to the upside right around some near-term support at $2.40 with massive upside volume. This move has now pushed ACAD within range of triggering a major breakout trade. That trade will hit once ACAD manages to clear some near-term overhead resistance at $2.84 with high volume. Traders should now look for long-biased trades in ACAD as long as it's trending above $2.53, and then once it sustains a move or close above $2.84 with volume that hits near or above 878,275 shares. If that breakout triggers soon, then ACAD will have an excellent chance of re-testing or possibly taking out its next major overhead resistance level at $3.30. If that $3.30 level gets taken out with volume, then this stock could easily spike north of $4 in the near future. To see more stocks under-$10 that are making notable moves higher today, check out the Stocks Under $10 Moving Higher portfolio on Stockpickr. -- Written by Roberto Pedone in Winderemere, Fla.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV