If Whitman thinks she can get 320,000 HP employees across six divisions on the same page, she's certifiably insane.
As David Faber noted, HP has 2,100 different SKUs of laser printers.
The fact that she proceeds with any of this only highlights how out of touch she is with reality.
When Steve Jobs returned to Apple, the first thing he did was slash the product line down to what would evolve into a handful of winners. Whitman needs to do something similar and probably more drastic at HP.And she needs to do it with far fewer cooks in the kitchen, alongside innovators who can come up with something other than a retool of what hasn't been working for the last several years. At the time of publication, the author was long FB. Follow @RoccoPendola This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV