NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- They come from two different worlds -- silver and spirits -- but these two "hard" assets could add some shine to your portfolio.
First, the silver. In a speech given in Indiana earlier this week, Chairman Bernanke reminded us once again the Federal Reserve will be accommodating the growth of the investment markets for a long time to come.
What Bernanke said was bold and direct, "We expect to keep the short-term interest rate at exceptionally low levels to at least mid-2015... So long as price stability is preserved, and we will take care not to raise rates prematurely."
The Fed's interest rate policy, in Bernanke's own words, will be in place "...for a considerable time after the economy strengthens." Now that's what I call "accommodating" and should help hard assets to skyrocket in the months ahead.One of those hard assets is silver, which I believe is not only the "poor man's gold" but is an essential precious metal used in technologies as diverse as electronics and killing virus' that cause diseases. Yes, this amazing metal has dozens of industrial uses, but when you look at a
One way to play the benefits of rising silver prices is to own one of the largest primary silver producers in the world. Pan American Silver (PAAS) is the largest publicly traded silver miner today and the share price still has room to run. It keeps moving higher with the price of silver because it's growing its bottom line, as the following chart illustrates how its price-per-share and free cash flow appear to be moving in tandem. PAAS data by YCharts
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV