Emergent BioSolutions (NYSE:EBS) announced today that, after completion of an inter-agency In Process Review, the Biomedical Advanced Research Development Authority (BARDA) of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) has exercised a contract option to further advance the development of PreviThrax TM (Recombinant Protective Antigen Anthrax Vaccine, Purified), the company’s novel rPA anthrax vaccine candidate. This option is part of the company’s rPA development contract with BARDA executed in October 2010.
“Emergent is pleased that PreviThrax, our rPA vaccine candidate, has met all of the key milestones necessary for BARDA to exercise the contract option,” said Adam Havey, executive vice president of Emergent BioSolutions. “We look forward to continuing to work with BARDA to develop the medical countermeasures it believes are necessary to address the nation’s security requirements.”
Since initiating the contract in 2010, Emergent has made significant progress in the development of PreviThrax, including:
- Increasing the manufacturing yield by over fourfold,- Transferring the manufacturing process to single-use bioreactors for flexible manufacturing,- Transferring the manufacturing process to the company's Baltimore manufacturing facility,- Demonstrating stability for both liquid and dry formulations,- Demonstrating stability at elevated temperatures, and- Completing numerous analytical method validations.This work is being performed under Contract Number HHSO100201000059C, funded by BARDA. The vaccine candidate is based on the pioneering work of the U.S. Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases and has previously received funding from the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. About Emergent BioSolutions Inc. Emergent BioSolutions protects and enhances life by developing and manufacturing vaccines and therapeutics that are supplied to healthcare providers and purchasers for use in preventing and treating disease. Emergent’s marketed and investigational products target infectious diseases, oncology and autoimmune disorders. Additional information about the company may be found at www.emergentbiosolutions.com. Follow us on Twitter @emergentbiosolu. Safe Harbor Statement This press release includes statements that are forward-looking. These forward-looking statements include those regarding our expectations for PreviThrax. These forward-looking statements are based on our current intentions, beliefs and expectations regarding future events. We cannot guarantee that any forward-looking statement will be accurate. Investors should realize that if underlying assumptions prove inaccurate or unknown risks or uncertainties materialize, actual results could differ materially from our expectations. Investors are, therefore, cautioned not to place undue reliance on any forward-looking statement. Any forward-looking statement speaks only as of the date of this press release, and, except as required by law, we do not undertake to update any forward-looking statement to reflect new information, events or circumstances.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV