The Associated Press
An encouraging report on the labor market and better sales from Costco and other retail stores helped push the stock market higher Thursday.
The government said that 367,000 Americans sought unemployment benefits for the first time last week. That's an increase from the previous week but fewer than economists had forecast.
The Dow Jones industrial average rose 80.75 points, or 0.6 percent, to close at 13,575.36.The S&P 500 index rose 10.41, or 0.7 percent, to 1,461.40. The Nasdaq composite rose 14.23, or 0.5 percent, to 3,149.46. For the week: The Dow is up 138.23, or 1 percent. The S&P 500 is up 20.73, or 1.4 percent. The Nasdaq is up 33.23, or 1.1 percent. For the year: The Dow is up 1,357.80 points, or 11.1 percent. The S&P 500 is up 203.80 points, or 16.2 percent. The Nasdaq is up 544.31 points, or 20.9 percent.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV