Sales Growth Slows at Private Companies: What Does That Mean For Jobs?
The company analyzes 1,000 financial statements per day in approximately 1,200 industry codes.
Land subdivision was the only industry to see sales actually decline over the past dozen months, while nonmetallic mineral mining and quarrying had essentially flat growth, Sageworks says. Other slow-growing industries included business support services and places serving alcohol, the data say.
Industries that had growth rates above 25% year over year included: petroleum and petroleum products merchant wholesalers; industrial machinery manufacturing; and metal and mineral merchant wholesalers, the data found.
"There is real anxiety among companies about their businesses in the future," Hamilton says.In this case blaming Washington might be warranted, he says. "I'm a little worried that the environment being so poisonous in Washington right now, it really is, that they are throwing policies at these people -- 27 million people -- that at the last minute expect them to adapt and make decisions on a dime," Hamilton says. "Where's the anxiety coming from? It's not in the fundamental performance. It's outside of that. And then you look to D.C." "Again if you're going to give a policy, these people are very adaptable, they really are ... they need to know what policies are coming down the pike so they can plan," Hamilton says. Hamilton wouldn't comment on which presidential candidate would be better for private business. "Most businesses probably lean conservative," Hamilton says. "I don't know whether
Follow TheStreet on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV