The Associated Press
BETTER, BUT: The stock market got a lift from the government's report that 367,000 Americans sought unemployment benefits for the first time last week. That's an increase from the previous week but fewer than economists had expected.
RETAIL SALES: Costco and other retail chains reported September sales that came in ahead of Wall Street's estimates. Costco, Dollar General and other retail stocks gained.
THE FINAL SCORE: The Standard & Poor's 500 index gained 10 points to close at 1,461. The Dow Jones industrial average rose 81 points to 13,575.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV