End-of-life Care In Nursing Homes Lacking
New Study Confirms Inherent Barrier to Receiving Hospice Care for SNF Patients
ALEXANDRIA, Va., Oct. 4, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- A new study, published online in the Archives of Internal Medicine, confirms that inconsistent reimbursement structures and regulations adversely affect many people receiving skilled nursing facility (SNF) benefits in the last months of life and hinders access to high-quality specialized end-of-life care.
The National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization (NHPCO) applauds this research and calls for reforms to address these barriers to hospice care. According to the study, "1 in 11 elders died while enrolled in the SNF benefit" with most dying within 30 days of admission to the benefit after a hospitalization." The authors state that the data "suggests that patients are being discharged from hospitals to nursing homes under the Medicare SNF benefit for end-of-life care." Yet, "…only 0.5% of decedents were enrolled in both programs" (SNF and hospice).According to NHPCO President and CEO, J. Donald Schumacher, "I wish I could say that the results are a surprise, but we have known for years that the reimbursement system and regulations for the SNF benefit discourages or at least delays access to hospice care." Schumacher went on to state, "Our goal is to ensure that patients and families have the kind of care they need when and where they need it." NHPCO, the nation's largest non-profit membership organization representing hospice and palliative care programs and professionals, is committed to improving care at the end of life and expanding access to hospice care. The organization has a strong commitment to increasing awareness and understanding of the importance of advance care planning, encouraging patients to explore their healthcare goals and wishes, share those with family members and discuss them with their medical team.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV