1. (More) Fat Fingered Foolishness
Average investors may be fleeing the stock market on account of the 2010 May flash crash, Facebook's (FB) IPO fiasco and Knight Capital's (KCG) collapse, but we here at the 5 Dumbest Lab simply can't get enough. You see, those kinds of electronic trading glitches are good for our business because we literally feed on Wall Street stupidity.
As for the exchanges, well, not so much.
Our schadenfreude streak continued this past week when Nasdaq OMX (NDAQ) cancelled 168 "erroneous" trades of Kraft Foods Group (KRFT) totaling almost 30,000 shares that had pushed the food maker's stock up about 29% in a single minute. Kraft shares spiked as high as $58.54 after opening at $45.44 immediately after the stock opened for trading Wednesday morning. Kraft stock finished the turbulent day down 1.2% to $44.87."While it is difficult to say with any degree of certainty, it seems that this might be the case of mishandling a buy order through a 'fat finger' incorrect limit or using a far too aggressive order type or algo," said Mark Turner, head of U.S. sales trading at electronic broker Instinet in an e-mail to Bloomberg. Turner added that the exchanges, which in this case included NYSE Arca, Nasdaq, Direct Edge and BATS, handled the error in accordance with their error guidelines. Good for them. We're glad to know they can finally control a major screw-up once it gets started. As for stopping them altogether, well, not so much. And we're fine with that! --Written by Gregg Greenberg in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV