Consumer Staples SPDR ETF (XLP) saw one of the largest trades of the year earlier this week when a customer paid $0.15 for 250,000 January 38 calls as shares were near $35.98. Don't be fooled by the low dollar price, the position cost the buyer $3.75 million and as XLP has lifted to $36.37 this morning, is currently worth $5 million for a handy 33% mark to market gain in three days. Exiting the trade will be tricky for the client, but we'll keep an eye on it.
Fortinet (FTNT), the network security provider, saw notably heavy call buying on Wednesday, primarily in the November 22 and October 24 lines. Thirty day IV lifted six points as well, suggesting a view that shares may be set to recover some of the $4 shed in the past two weeks.
Spectra Energy (SE) calls were busy on Wednesday as well, with 2845 contracts trading and most of those opening new positions in the December 30 calls. Average daily call volume in SE is just 800 contracts and shares are near the middle of their 52-week range ($24.67 to $32.15).
Occidental Petroleum (OXY) is seeing call buying on Thursday with 2100 upside November 12 calls, most for $3 as shares traded near $84.65. OXY's share price is in the lower end of its 52-week range ($73 to $105) and both call and put OI have been building.
RenRen (RENN), sometimes mentioned as the Chinese equivalent of Facebook (FB), saw a buyer of 7000 October 4 calls for $0.15 with shares near $3.96. The purchase could close a position opened back in June when nearly 10,000 traded for $0.85.
OptionsProfits can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/OptionsProfits.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV