Rising Home Prices in Swing States Makes Housing a Non-Issue for Obama
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Home prices are on the rise nationwide, with Trulia reporting that asking prices- a lead indicator for sales price- is up 2.5% year-on-year in September.
Excluding foreclosures, asking prices are up 3.5%. The Trulia Price Monitor takes into account changes in the mix of listed homes, so they reflect trends in prices and rents for similar homes in similar neighborhoods.
The rise in prices has essentially made housing a non-issue for the candidates, according to Trulia Chief Economist Jed Kolko. If anything it has given a boost to Obama's campaign.
"The timing of the housing price rebound couldn't be better for President Obama," said Kolko in a statement. "Prices are up sharply in Nevada and Florida, two swing states that suffered a lot of housing misery, and have risen in six of the seven electoral swing states. Rising prices take pressure off the candidates to propose housing solutions before the election - and make it harder for Romney to criticize the Obama Administration's housing record."Asking prices rose 7% in Nevada and 6.9% in Florida. Only one of the seven swing states, North Carolina, saw a decline of less than 1%. If this year-to-date price trend continues, prices will be up almost 4 percent by the end of the year - ending several years of price declines, according to Trulia. Neither candidate has had much to say about housing policy. The
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Shanthi Bharatwaj. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/shavenk.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV