Not all of the setups shaping up right now are bullish. Wal-Mart (WMT) is an example of a potential downside trade that's been forming for the past couple of months. So while the Arkansas-based retail behemoth has been in rally mode for most of this year, buyers had better beware.
Right now, Wal-Mart is starting to form a double-top pattern, a setup that's formed by two swing highs that top out at nearly the same level. The sell signal (or the short signal for more aggressive traders) comes when shares fall through the trough that separates the tops. For Wal-Mart, that level is $71.At this point, the red flag in WMT is just that: a red flag that becomes a trade signal if shares fall through support at $71. If this stock continues consolidating sideways, it doesn't make sense to sell it let alone bet against it. Momentum broke its uptrend at the start of August, turning into a full-blown downtrend within the last month. RSI is still looking pretty neutral, but if the indicator's downtrend continues below the 50 level, the evidence for a drop is much more compelling. With that in mind, make sure that you're only trading based on price. RSI is a very useful confirmation tool, but it's got limited use on its own. The bottom line is that $71 is Wal-Mart's bottom line in the near-term.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV