First up is integrated oil and gas supermajor Exxon Mobil (XOM). Exxon has been swinging in a wide range this year, dragged behind the ebb and flow of oil prices. While that's resulted in underperformance vs. the S&P 500 so far this year, the setup in this stock is signaling higher prices for shareholders in the coming weeks.
That's because Exxon is currently forming an ascending triangle pattern, a bullish setup that's formed by a horizontal resistance level above shares and an uptrending support level below them. Essentially, as shares bounce in between those two technical price levels, they're getting squeezed closer and closer to a breakout above resistance (in XOM's case at $92.50). When that happens, traders have a buy signal.Exxon's setup is very short-term, but it's got some extra evidence pointing to upside from the pattern. Momentum, measured by 14-day RSI, is still in an uptrend, a good sign since momentum is a leading indicator of price. Trading volume points to upside too in Exxon - volume has been declining over the course of the pattern (which is the textbook volume behavior for an ascending triangle). Ideally, we'll want to see a volume spike when shares move above $92.50; that indicates that buyers are participating in the breakout. I'd recommend sitting on the sidelines until that happens.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV