Updated from 10:06 a.m. EDT with settlement prices
NEW YORK (
Gold for December delivery rose $16.70 to close at $1,796.50 an ounce at the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange. The
"ECB no action, jobless claims up 4,000. Not exactly the catalysts for a near 1% jump, but the bulls declare $1800 gold as being in the bag," wrote Jon Nadler, a senior analyst at Kitco metals.Initial jobless claims increased 4,000 to 367,000 for the week ending Sept. 29. The number came a day ahead of the monthly unemployment number, which for months greatly has affected gold prices. With the Federal Reserve's implementation of open-ended quantitative easing, though, that unemployment number may have less luster for investors in the yellow metal.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV