With more than 7 billion people in the world, it means about one in every seven people on the planet uses Facebook. CEO and founder Mark Zuckerberg confirmed the news Friday morning. The site officially hit the 1 billion mark on Sept. 14.
Of its 1 billion active users, 600 million of them are mobile users. The average age of a Facebook user has fallen to 22 years old from 23. The site has seen more than 1.13 trillion "Likes" since the feature was launched in February 2009.
3M (MMM) is trending as the manufacturer has scrapped plans to buy Avery-Dennison's (AVY) office and consumer products business. U.S. regulators raised objections over the potential deal a month ago, even threatening a lawsuit to block the $550 million deal due to antitrust concerns. Regulators were concerned the deal would have resulted in a substantial decline in competition, as well as higher prices for consumers and less innovation. 3M had initially intended to fight to get the deal done. Avery Dennison said it will continue to pursue selling the business.
Food prices is another popular search. The United Nations' food agency said on Thursday that world food prices rose in September to the highest in six months. The United Nations' Food & Agriculture Organization said livestock breeders and dairy farmers are passing the higher costs of feed on to consumers, after grain prices rose in prior months. The organization said dairy costs alone climbed the most in over two years. The FAO said an index of 55 food items rose to 215.8 points from 212.8 points in August. The FAO said it does not expect a food crisis.
The chatter on Main Street (a.k.a. Google, Yahoo! and other search sites) is always of interest to investors on Wall Street. Thus, each day, TheStreet compiles the stories that are trending on the Web, and highlights the news that could make stocks move. -- Written by Brittany Umar.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV