SAN DIEGO, Oct. 4, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- CareFusion and Cerner today announced the implementation of interconnected systems that share data for enhanced medication management at Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center, a leading U.S. teaching and research hospital and designated Magnet institution.
The new offering from CareFusion and Cerner, currently in limited commercial release, enables data sharing and centralizes clinical information between the Pyxis MedStation® 4000 system automated medication dispensing technology and the Cerner Millennium® electronic health record (EHR) system, via Cerner's CareAware iBus™ integrated device connectivity architecture.
Interoperability between systems allows caregivers to use Cerner Millennium to remotely track drug availability and select medications for removal from the Pyxis MedStation system. These features help improve efficiency in medication dispensing and administration and save nurses time previously spent looking for medications.
"The integration of the patient electronic medical record and medication dispensing devices, combined with our medication management processes, has helped us increase the efficiency of medication administration by 30 percent, improve staff satisfaction and most importantly decrease the chance of selecting the wrong patient in the system," said Sherry Kwater, M.S.N., B.S.N., R.N., chief nursing officer at Penn State Hershey Medical Center.The technology helps streamline medication administration and documentation further by:
- Displaying alerts and status information from the Pyxis MedStation system within the Cerner Millennium Alert Dashboard to improve pharmacy workflow.
- Enabling nurses to remotely select medications from the Cerner EHR for dispensing by the Pyxis MedStation 4000 system and document medication waste from any Cerner PowerChart ® workstation.
- Duplicating patient lists, labs and vital signs from Cerner PowerChart into the Pyxis MedStation system to ensure nurses have access to consistent patient data from multiple locations within the hospital.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV