Cracker Barrel Old Country Store, Inc. ("Cracker Barrel" or the "Company") (Nasdaq: CBRL) today began mailing its proxy statement for the Company's Annual Meeting of Shareholders to be held on November 15, 2012. In addition, President and CEO Sandra B. Cochran sent a letter to the Company's shareholders urging them to elect the Company's ten nominees to the Board of Directors, and to vote against the election of Sardar Biglari and Phil Cooley.
“Despite being rejected by a significant margin last year, Mr. Biglari has not only chosen to re-fight the same battle to elect himself, but has also nominated his company’s vice chairman, Phil Cooley, for election, without providing any specific plans or proposals for the Cracker Barrel business,” Ms. Cochran wrote to Cracker Barrel shareholders. Mr. Biglari is CEO of a restaurant acquisition and holding company, Biglari Holdings, and CEO of its principal portfolio company, Steak 'n Shake, a family dining restaurant chain that Cracker Barrel considers a competitor.
“We believe Mr. Biglari and Mr. Cooley are wrong for Cracker Barrel’s Board and their election could jeopardize the powerful momentum we have built in the past year,” Ms. Cochran stated.
The stock market, she noted, has recognized Cracker Barrel’s progress since the announcement of the Company’s six strategic priorities on September 13, 2011, with a 68.4% appreciation in the value of the Company’s shares through September 28, 2012. In addition, she pointed out that Cracker Barrel:
- Has increased its quarterly dividend 100% over the last year and continued its share buyback program.
- Had an excellent fourth quarter and full-year fiscal 2012 as a result of successfully implementing key strategic initiatives.
- Has a talented new management team, with five senior executives either new to the Company or serving in new positions since January 2011.
- Has benefitted from the effective leadership of its renewed Board of Directors, with six new independent directors joining the Board within the last 18 months.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV