5 Sports Stars Buying Franchises as Their Next Play
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- For all the glitz and glory associated with being a sports star, the sad fact is that many professional athletes have short shelf lives. And once the last ball is thrown or layup made, endorsements are quick to fizzle.
Sports stars have notoriously been known to blow their earnings, either from aggressive agents who advocate investments that promise high returns or from their own extravagant lifestyle spending on cars, cribs (as in homes) and bling.
A 2009 Sports Illustrated story highlighted that just two years after retirement, 78% of NFL players "have gone bankrupt or are under financial stress because of joblessness or divorce." Further, within five years of retirement, "an estimated 60% of former NBA players are broke."
Sports associations are looking to guide their players into more stable careers once they retire. And professional athletes are increasingly betting on the franchise industry as a safe place to invest their money.As bank credit remains elusive, the franchise industry is encouraging more players, with large checkbooks at their disposal, to sign on. While they may not take food orders or man the grill, there are a host of former players behind the scene. "It's an untapped market," says Miriam Brewer, the senior director of education and diversity at the International Franchise Association. "Granted, there are growing numbers of athletes already in franchising. If we can reach
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV