American's other labor unions also remain committed to a merger, for which Laura Glading, president of the Association of Professional Flight Attendants, has emerged as a key advocate.
In a recent note, consulting firm Leading Edge said American pilots last month rejected a tentative contract deal by a 62%-38% margin partially because they felt that "rejecting the last best final offer was the best path to the US Airways merger.
"Although mergers, with the contentious process of integrating seniority lists, are usually anathema to pilots, APA pilots are overwhelmingly in favor of a merger with US Airways" Leading Edge said. The tentative contract agreement with US Airways "is superior by orders of magnitude for the pilot group, offering a voluntary limit to a modest amount of code sharing and the promise of real compensation parity, to include profit sharing and retirement as well as wages, with industry leaders."While it is clear that US Airways has suffered from an inability to merge pilot seniority lists following a 2005 merger with America West, it is possible to conclude that a proposed decision , unveiled Tuesday by a U.S. District Court Judge in Phoenix, defines a path to resolve the dispute. That decision would tentatively enable US Airways to negotiate a joint contract with its pilots, after which pilots who felt disadvantaged by that contract's seniority provisions would have the right to sue. Follow @tedreednc -- Written by Ted Reed in Charlotte, N.C. >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Ted Reed
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV