About Hereditary Cancer
Hereditary cancers, also called inherited cancers, are those caused by genetic mutations that are passed from parent to child. These mutations predispose people to developing a particular type of cancer. Mutations in BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes are the most common cause of hereditary breast and ovarian cancers and can lead to male breast cancer, pancreatic cancer, prostate cancer and others. Women with a BRCA mutation are five times more likely to develop breast cancer than those without the mutation and more than ten times as likely to develop ovarian cancer 1. Approximately 7% 2 of breast cancer and approximately 14% 3,4,5 of invasive ovarian cancer result from inherited gene mutations.
DNA testing for BRCA mutations is done through a blood or saliva test and can indicate whether a person carries a BRCA gene mutation. Testing is recommended for people with certain personal and/or family history pattern, including:
- A personal history of breast cancer at an early age 6
- A personal history of ovarian cancer at any age
- A strong family history of breast cancer at an early age
- A family history of breast and ovarian cancers
- A family history of male breast cancer
- Ashkenazi Jewish heritage (who also have a family history of breast or ovarian cancer)
Myriad Genetics is a pioneer in hereditary cancer testing and offers tests for a variety of hereditary cancer syndromes, including BRAC Analysis®, which detects mutations in the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes. This test has become the standard of care in identification of individuals with hereditary breast and ovarian cancer. Nearly one million patients have benefited from Myriad's hereditary cancer testing.About Myriad Genetics Myriad Genetics is a leading molecular diagnostic company dedicated to making a difference in patients' lives through the discovery and commercialization of transformative tests to assess a person's risk of developing disease, guide treatment decisions and assess risk of disease progression and recurrence. Myriad's portfolio of molecular diagnostic tests are based on an understanding of the role genes play in human disease and were developed with a commitment to improving an individual's decision making process for monitoring and treating disease. Myriad is focused on strategic directives to introduce new products, including companion diagnostics, as well as expanding internationally. For more information on how Myriad is making a difference, please visit the Company's website: www.myriad.com Myriad, the Myriad logo, BRACAnalysis, Colaris, Colaris AP, Melaris, TheraGuide, Prezeon, OnDose, Panexia and Prolaris are trademarks or registered trademarks of Myriad Genetics, Inc. in the United States and foreign countries. MYGN-G
- Claus EB, Schildkraut JM, Thompson WD, Risch NJ. The genetic attributable risk of breast and ovarian cancer. Cancer. 1996;77:2318-24.
- Risch HA, McLaughlin JR, Cole DEC, et al. Prevalence and penetrance of germline BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations in a population series of 649 women with ovarian cancer. American Journal of Human Genetics. 2001;68:700-710.
- Pal T, Permuth-Wey J, Betts JA, et al. BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations account for a large proportion of ovarian carcinoma cases. Cancer. 2005;104(12):2807-2816.
- Zhang S. et al. Frequencies of BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations among 1,342 unselected patients with invasive ovarian cancer. Gynecol Oncol. 2011 May 1; 121(2):352-7.
CONTACT: Rebecca Chambers Director, Investor Relations and Corporate Communications (801) 584-1143 firstname.lastname@example.org
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV