Hormone Therapy Has Many Favorable Effects In Newly Menopausal Women: Initial Findings Of The Kronos Early Estrogen Prevention Study (KEEPS)
PHOENIX, Oct. 3, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Estrogen/progesterone treatment started soon after menopause appears safe and relieves many of the symptoms menopausal women face as well as improving mood and markers of cardiovascular risk, according to a multicenter randomized study presented at the North American Menopause Society (NAMS) Annual Meeting in Orlando, Florida.
"The KEEPS provides invaluable information for women close to menopause and their clinicians," said S. Mitchell Harman, MD, Ph.D., director of the the Kronos Longevity Research Institute, the organization that sponsored the study. "The data showed improvements in cognition, mood, menopausal symptoms, and sexual function in younger women. In addition, some measures showed slight evidence that hormone therapy might be cardio-protective in this age group, although results were not definitive and would require additional study."
The Kronos Early Estrogen Prevention Study (KEEPS) was a four-year randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled clinical trial of low-dose oral or transdermal (skin patch) estrogen and cyclic monthly progesterone in healthy women aged 42-58 (mean age, 52) who were within three years after menopause at randomization. 727 women were randomized into the following three arms, along with cyclical micronized progesterone (Prometrium®):
- Oral conjugated equine estrogens (o-CEE) given as Premarin®, 0.45 mg/day (a lower dose than the 0.625 mg/d used in the Women's Health Initiative [WHI])
- Transdermal Estradiol (t-E2) given by Climara® patch, 50 mcg/day
Measurements showed that:
- Neither o-CEE nor t-E2 significantly affected systolic or diastolic blood pressure, in contrast to the higher dose of CEE in the Women's Health Initiative (WHI), which increased blood pressure levels.
- Oral CEE, but not t-E2, was associated with an increase in HDL ("good") cholesterol. The o-CEE group had a decrease in LDL ("bad") cholesterol, but also an increase in triglyceride levels (a lipid fraction that is of uncertain significance as an independent risk factor). t-E2 had neutral effects on these biomarkers.
- Transdermal E2 appeared to improve insulin sensitivity (lower insulin resistance) calculated from glucose and insulin levels as "HOMA-IR."
- During 48 months of treatment with either type of hormone therapy (HT) vs placebo, there were no apparent effects, either beneficial or deleterious, on atherosclerosis progression assessed by carotid ultrasound and a non-significant trend toward less accumulation of coronary artery calcium (CAC). We conclude that hormone treatment at the doses employed and in this healthy, recently menopausal population neither significantly reduced nor accelerated progression of atherosclerosis as measured by arterial imaging.
- Improvements in hot flashes, night sweats, mood, sexual function, and bone density were observed with HT vs placebo.
- No significant differences in adverse events (breast cancer, endometrial cancer, myocardial infarction, TIA, stroke, or venous thromboembolic disease) were found among groups. However, the absolute numbers of such events were extremely small in all three treatment groups, making definitive conclusions impossible.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV