Fiscal 2013 First Quarter Financial Results
- Total revenues for the FY 2013 first quarter increased 16.0% to $29.5 million from $25.4 million for the same period last year. As a result of NAU’s enrollment growth, the academic segment’s total revenue increased 16.1% to $29.2 million from $25.1 million for the prior-year period.
- For the FY 2013 first quarter, educational services expense was $7.1 million, or 24.5% of the academic segment’s total revenue, compared to $6.4 million, or 25.3%, for the FY 2012 first quarter. Educational services expense specifically relates to the academic segment, and includes salaries and benefits of faculty and academic administrators, costs of educational supplies, facility costs, faculty reference and support material and related academic costs.
- During the FY 2013 first quarter, SG&A expenses were $20.4 million, or 69.3% of total revenues, compared to $16.8 million, or 66.1%, in the prior-year period. The increase was primarily due to additional costs related to ramping up operations at NAU’s new physical locations, including $1.4 million for 83 new staff members to provide the support services necessary for NAU’s growing student population, as well as $0.4 million in increased expenses for health-related insurance claims. The Company also incurred additional expenses to sustain ongoing operations that provide the support and services necessary for the growing student population.
- The Company reported a loss before income taxes and non-controlling interest for the FY 2013 first quarter of $0.2 million, compared to income before income taxes and non-controlling interest of $1.8 million for the same period last year. The loss was primarily due to the higher SG&A expenses described above.
- Net loss attributable to the Company for the FY 2013 first quarter was $0.2 million, or $0.01 per diluted share based on 25.6 million shares outstanding, compared to net income attributable to the Company of $1.0 million, or $0.04 per diluted share based on 27.1 million shares outstanding, in the prior-year period.
- EBITDA for the FY 2013 first quarter was $1.4 million, compared to $2.7 million in the prior-year period. A table reconciling EBITDA to net income can be found at the end of this release.
|(in millions except for percentages)||8/31/2012||5/31/2012||% Change|
|Cash and Cash Equivalents||$||16.4||$||15.7||4.9%|
|Available for Sale Investments||11.4||14.9||-23.6%|
|Total Long-term Debt||0||0||N/A|