Fiscal 2013 First Quarter Financial Results
- Total revenues for the FY 2013 first quarter increased 16.0% to $29.5 million from $25.4 million for the same period last year. As a result of NAU’s enrollment growth, the academic segment’s total revenue increased 16.1% to $29.2 million from $25.1 million for the prior-year period.
- For the FY 2013 first quarter, educational services expense was $7.1 million, or 24.5% of the academic segment’s total revenue, compared to $6.4 million, or 25.3%, for the FY 2012 first quarter. Educational services expense specifically relates to the academic segment, and includes salaries and benefits of faculty and academic administrators, costs of educational supplies, facility costs, faculty reference and support material and related academic costs.
- During the FY 2013 first quarter, SG&A expenses were $20.4 million, or 69.3% of total revenues, compared to $16.8 million, or 66.1%, in the prior-year period. The increase was primarily due to additional costs related to ramping up operations at NAU’s new physical locations, including $1.4 million for 83 new staff members to provide the support services necessary for NAU’s growing student population, as well as $0.4 million in increased expenses for health-related insurance claims. The Company also incurred additional expenses to sustain ongoing operations that provide the support and services necessary for the growing student population.
- The Company reported a loss before income taxes and non-controlling interest for the FY 2013 first quarter of $0.2 million, compared to income before income taxes and non-controlling interest of $1.8 million for the same period last year. The loss was primarily due to the higher SG&A expenses described above.
- Net loss attributable to the Company for the FY 2013 first quarter was $0.2 million, or $0.01 per diluted share based on 25.6 million shares outstanding, compared to net income attributable to the Company of $1.0 million, or $0.04 per diluted share based on 27.1 million shares outstanding, in the prior-year period.
- EBITDA for the FY 2013 first quarter was $1.4 million, compared to $2.7 million in the prior-year period. A table reconciling EBITDA to net income can be found at the end of this release.
Balance Sheet Highlights
|(in millions except for percentages)||8/31/2012||5/31/2012||% Change|
|Cash and Cash Equivalents||$||16.4||$||15.7||4.9%|
|Available for Sale Investments||11.4||14.9||-23.6%|
|Total Long-term Debt||0||0||N/A|
On August 27, 2012, the Board of Directors declared a cash dividend in the amount of $0.04 per share on all shares of the Company’s common stock outstanding and of record as of the close of business on September 30, 2012, to be paid on or about October 5, 2012. This quarterly $0.04 dividend represents a 23% increase over the previous quarter’s $0.0325 dividend.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV