Upgrading the stock to a buy from hold, O'Connor argues that PNC Financial (PNC) is in the process of addressing most of the issues dogging the bank.
Shares of PNC have underperformed in 2012 as earnings have been clouded by one-time items following its acquisition of the US. Operations of RBC Capital.
The bank has however given more clarity about its "purchase accounting accretion" recently. The analyst also expects greater clarity on how the bank expects to achieve its Basel 3 target of 8 % to 8.5% in the third quarter.Also additional "one-timers" in the upcoming quarters have been well-telegraphed and results are likely to be cleaner in 2013, according to the analyst. Deutsche expects PNC Financial to report an earnings per share of $1.61 excluding RBC merger charges versus a consensus estimate of $1.60. PNC is set to report on Oct 16. -- Written by Shanthi Bharatwaj in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV