States With The Highest Death Rates For Teen Drivers
Alabama, Arkansas, Mississippi, Montana, West Virginia and Wyoming have the highest teen fatal accident rates in the nation, according to a report released this week.
But teens everywhere should be cautious behind the wheel: The fatal accident rate for teens is almost three times the rate for drivers 20 and older, according to the report.
Almost 18,000 teens age 16 to 19 died in car crashes nationwide from 2006 to 2010, according to the Erie Insurance study -- based on the most recent statistics analyzed by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) from the U.S. Department of Transportation.
Here are the worst states for 16- to 19-year-olds for the four years from 2006 to 2010:
- Wyoming -- 35.6 deaths per 100,000 teen motorists. That's 216 percent higher than the national rate for drivers 20 and older.
- Montana -- 34.1 deaths per 100,000 teen motorists; 202 percent higher than the national rate for drivers over age 20.
- Mississippi -- 32.3 deaths per 100,000 teen motorists and 186 percent higher than the national rate for drivers 20 and older.
- A tie between West Virginia, Arkansas and Alabama -- each with 31.2 deaths per 100,000 teen motorists, 177 percent higher than the national rate for drivers 20 and older.
- District of Columbia -- 1.7 deaths per 100,000 teen motorists. That's 85 percent less than the national rate for drivers 20 and older.
- New York -- 7.6 and 33 percent lower.
- Rhode Island -- 8.4 and 24 percent lower.
- Massachusetts -- 8.8 and 22 percent lower.
- New Jersey -- 8.9 and 21 percent lower.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV