NORWALK, Conn., Oct. 3, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Looks like we're in for another expensive holiday travel season. According to priceline.com (Nasdaq: PCLN) fare-watchers, the average national airfare for the upcoming Thanksgiving and Christmas holiday seasons is trending about 3% higher than last year.
Currently, the national average for Thanksgiving domestic airfares is $393, compared to $382 last year. The national average for Christmas domestic airfares is $430, versus $420 last year. Priceline.com calculated the average airfares based on published-price domestic round-trip airline tickets already purchased by customers for holiday 2012 travel.
"The number of available seats for holiday travel is still down due to flight reductions and airline mergers," said priceline.com's Travel Ekspert Brian Ek. "That reduces the chances that holiday fares are going to drop. Travelers who already know their holiday plans would be wise to book well before Halloween in order to get the most choice in flights and seats."
Ek also said that early bookers can get substantial savings by using priceline.com's Name Your Own Price® airline service. "This year, I'm seeing travelers saving 20% or more over the published fares by bidding on their holiday tickets," said Ek. "That's about double the savings that travelers were getting at this time last year. Airlines are selectively making some of their seats available on a Name Your Own Price® basis, and now is a good time to get them."Every year, priceline.com publishes a continuously updating Best Days To Fly calendar showing the days when travelers are most likely to find affordable fares. The calendar can be found at www.priceline.com/bestdays. According to Priceline, here are the most affordable travel days (currently) for the upcoming holidays:
- The most affordable days to fly over the Thanksgiving holiday are November 19, 22, 27, 28, 29 and 30. Other moderately priced days to consider are November 18 and 23.
- The most affordable days to fly over the Christmas holidays are December 17, 18, 25, and January 1. Other moderately priced days to consider are December 15, 16, 19, 23, 24, 27, 31, and January 2.
- Pick times of the day that are normally less busy . Time of day is important. Travelers will find the most affordable seats departing early in the morning ( 5-7 a.m.) or late evening (after 8 p.m.). Mid-day ( 11 a.m.-4 p.m.) is a bit more expensive, but still reasonable. Most expensive are the peak business travel hours ( 8-10 a.m. and 5-7 p.m.).
- Try priceline.com's Name Your Own Price® airline tickets service . You can save even more on your airline tickets by using priceline.com's Name Your Own Price® ticketing service. With Name Your Own Price® tickets, travelers must agree to begin their trips anytime between 6:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. and there may be up to one connection each way. Visit www.priceline.com/flights and click on the link to use the service. For help in deciding when to fly or how to bid for maximum savings, check out priceline.com's Inside Track www.priceline.com/insidetrack.
- Send those presents on ahead . You see presents; the airlines see extra baggage and maybe some extra fees. Not to mention how unhappy the security screeners will be to see those wrapped boxes. Save yourself the hassle by mailing or shipping presents in advance (after you've wrapped them, of course).
- Weigh and measure your baggage . Check your airline's maximum requirements for checked and carry-on bags to make sure you won't incur extra fees. Note: baggage fees are charged separately for your outbound and return flights.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV