This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Tax and accounting software firms such as Intuit (INTU) are getting ready to step well ... into it.
"We are at a point now where we see the world shifting once again," Brad Smith, president and CEO of the Mountain View, Calif., company, told analysts in September. "End users no longer want to be consumers. We want to be participants."
But if what analysts are saying back to executives such as Smith is any indication, what consumers really want is to not be customers at all.
Never mind that Intuit's products handle something like 2 billion invoices, 1.6 million vendors and 30 million employees; the overall tax prep and accounting software market is going just one place.Nowhere. "The sheer number of competitors is so high that revenue will be hard to come by in this industry," said Dale Schmidt, an industry analyst for IBISWorld, based in Santa Monica, Calif., who has written a definitive report on the topic. Tax business now like the music business
Schmidt spent a good hour over the phone with me explaining his research into the eroding economics of tax prep and accounting in the information age. It was a familiar call, since I have seen the same trends grind the music, publishing and legal professions to a similar fine, white powder. "It is pretty much the emergence of the free online tax filing systems," he explained. Just like in music and books, there seems to be no end to the number of outlets offering all or part of Intuit's products for free or at no incremental cost.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV