BECKER, Minn. (AP) â¿¿ Xcel Energy Inc. says it will cost as much as $200 million to repair the damage from a catastrophic turbine failure at Minnesota's largest power plant last November.
Sherco plant director Ron Brevig says Xcel still hasn't determined exactly why turbine broke up, sending debris and metal flying and sparking a fire. Nobody was injured. He says consultants are expected to finish the investigation around the end of this year.
Brevig says most repair costs will be covered by insurance. He told reporters Wednesday that Xcel and contractors are working around the clock to complete the repairs so Unit 3 can restart in the first quarter of 2013.
Utilities that use Sherco 3 say they haven't had to raise rates because replacement power has been available at a reasonable cost.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV