Key survey findings include:
- Six out of 10 respondents outsource more than half of their clients’ assets. That includes 37 percent of respondents who outsource 75 percent to 100 percent of client assets.
- For 43 percent of advisors, outsourcing is leading to some changes in fees charged. While more than half (57 percent) of those surveyed say outsourcing has had no effect on fees charged to clients. Almost one-third (28 percent) say they’ve increased fees and 15 percent say fees have decreased.
- Advisors from larger firms that don’t outsource are increasingly burdened with investment management-related tasks. More than six out of 10 advisors from larger firms report spending nearly two full workdays a week on three key investment management tasks.
Northern Trust works closely with financial advisors and outsourcing solutions providers such as turnkey asset managers to offer investment products that seek competitive returns, but with controlled levels of risk.
ABOUT THE SURVEY
Over a three-week period in June and July 2012, a total of 510 advisors responded to a survey of Advisor Perspectives subscribers. Answers to the survey’s first question split respondents into two groups: those who outsource and those who don’t. Analysis of the research included consideration of the advisors’ firm type (independent financial planning/investment advisory, RIA or regional broker-dealer), firm size (the smaller firms label applies to those with $150 million in assets or less, larger firms have $150 million in assets or more) and compensation model (asset-based or a combination of commissions and fees). Financial advisors used the survey’s comment fields to add additional considerations or elaborate on their responses. Their verbatim comments appear throughout the report, which is an update to Northern Trust’s 2010 research study. The research reports may be accessed by visiting www.northerntrustinvestments.com/outsourcing.About Northern Trust Northern Trust Corporation (Nasdaq: NTRS) is a leading provider of investment management, asset and fund administration, banking solutions and fiduciary services for corporations, institutions and affluent individuals worldwide. Northern Trust, a financial holding company based in Chicago, has offices in 18 U.S. states and 16 international locations in North America, Europe, the Middle East and the Asia-Pacific region. As of June 30, 2012, Northern Trust had assets under custody of US$4.6 trillion, and assets under investment management of US$704.3 billion. For more than 120 years, Northern Trust has earned distinction as an industry leader in combining exceptional service and expertise with innovative products and technology. For more information, visit www.northerntrust.com or follow us on Twitter @NorthernTrust.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV