A Northern Trust survey of financial advisors shows that the trend of outsourcing investment management activities remains popular. One half of the outsourcing respondents reported contracting out all investment management activities. These respondents say outsourcing helps them achieve productivity and profitability, with 64 percent saying it gave them more time to spend with clients and 60 percent saying it gave them the ability to develop a more consistent investment management process.
Investment outsourcing is the use of external providers for investment management as opposed to conducting all investment management-related activities in-house.
The survey, "Investment Management Outsourcing: The State of the Art in 2012,” an update to Northern Trust’s initial 2010 survey on this topic, polled more than 500 financial advisors with assets under management from under $50 million to over $1 billion.
The 2012 survey found that advisors who outsource said that it positively impacts the growth of their practices. Ninety-four percent said they were satisfied with their outsourcing solution. Outsourcing advisors also noted that the top drivers to outsourcing were:
- Access to asset allocation models
- Access to managers that advisors could not hire on their own
- The potential to generate alpha through investment ideas.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV