How to Do a Video Interview Right and Get the Job
7. Prep early
Set the stage an hour or so before your interview starts. Clean off your desk, turn on the lights and make sure your laptop and webcam are working properly.
And if you're using devices that require batteries (including a laptop), don't forget to keep them plugged in during your interview. It may sound obvious, but I once forgot to charge my laptop and it died in the middle of a conference call. Another embarrassing moment.
8. Control the noise level
Stacy likes to tell a story about doing a national radio interview from his home. All was going well until his dog spotted another dog in the front yard and started freaking out. Result? The dog got a lot of national media exposure and Stacy is still waiting for a call-back.
A few minutes before your interview starts, turn off the radio and the TV, pop the kids in front of a book or a video game to keep them occupied and put any pets as far away as possible. Webcams pick up any noise in the room (or even nearby rooms), and you don't want to spend part of your interview apologizing because of ambient sound.9. Look at the camera
Once your interview starts, remember to look at the camera and not straight ahead at the screen. While it's more natural to watch your interviewer onscreen, he'll only see the top of your head if you don't focus on the camera lens. 10. Be yourself
As Stacy said in the video, don't forget to be yourself. Everyone is nervous during an interview (and even more so on a video interview), but you have the best chance of being hired if you let your personality shine through. Just remember to smile, answer the questions the best you can and be your awesome self. -- By Angela Colley
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV