One small business owner participant paints a less rosy picture of the initiative. Bill McIntosh, CEO of CharityTrucks, qualified for a $300,000 loan through the program last year but declined to take the money because the fees and interest rate were higher than he expected.
"It's very misleading to say you've been granted a pot of money to lend out when it's actually a wholesale loan and you're going out there and selling them at retail and building in a lot of fees," he told HuffPo.
3. Should restaurants use daily deals? Restaurant Management offers an in-depth piece on the rise of daily deals fueled by consumers looking for bargains as the recession deepened. The cut back in discretionary spending not only hurt many merchants, including restaurants -- many went out of business. The article shows how some restaurants were saved by using daily deals.
For all the talk about the negatives of a restaurant using a daily deal -- food and personnel costs and customers not tipping on the gross amount are the main gripes -- daily deals should be considered as part of a restaurant's online marketing strategy to drive traffic to the restaurant. Online marketing is a must-have for restaurants today, the article says. It is then up to the business to keep the customers coming back. The cost they leave on the table when a customer uses the deal should be considered a marketing expense.-- Written by Laurie Kulikowski in New York. Follow @LKulikowski To contact Laurie Kulikowski, send an email to: Laurie.Kulikowski@thestreet.com. >To submit a news tip, email: email@example.com.
Follow TheStreet on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV