Rumor has it that the 7.85-inch tablet will cost between $249 and $299, as it looks to take on the lower end of the tablet market, warding off competition from the likes of Google (GOOG) and Amazon (AMZN).
There's just one problem with this. At $299, it would be the same price as the iPod Touch. Is Apple going to cannibalize a product it just refreshed? That remains to be seen, although I suspect that more consumers would probably choose the iPad Mini over an iPod Touch, given its larger screen.
Apple is mindful of its competitors in the tablet space, even though it has 68% of the market. Taking on lower-priced competitors is somewhat of a new approach for the company. Apple has cannibalized its own products before (iPad to Macs), but never with gadgets that have similar prices. It's a tricky situation, and Apple will have to get it right.TheStreet wants to know what you think. How much will the iPad Mini cost? Vote in our poll, and results will be up Friday afternoon.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV