Ciena® Corporation (NASDAQ: CIEN), the network specialist, in partnership with LightRiver Technologies, an integrator of next generation transport solutions for mission-critical networks, today announced that Sovernet Fiber Corp will deploy Ciena’s packet networking and Packet-Optical Transport technology throughout its fiber network. This deployment will support Sovernet’s new statewide network featuring advanced Ethernet service delivery and 100G capacity that will provide new broadband data and voice services, as well as carrier services, including transit, high-capacity transport, cellular backhaul, waves and Internet connectivity.
- Founded in 1995, Sovernet provides reliable Internet, data, and telecommunication services to customers throughout Northern New England.
- Ciena’s 5150 Service Aggregation Switch, 3930 and 3931 Service Delivery Switches will connect to the 6500 Packet-Optical Platform featuring WaveLogic ™ coherent optical technology with subtending G.8032 rings to provide increased network scalability and programmability. Collectively, these solutions will provide Sovernet with an OPn network architecture and a common, consistent way to deliver a full range of Ethernet services – including legacy and fast-growing packet services – while significantly accelerating and automating service creation and activation.
- Ciena is also providing Sovernet with its OneControl Unified Management System, and a range of professional services for this deployment via its Ciena Specialist Services portfolio, including ongoing testing and support.
- Sovernet expects overall network deployment to be finalized by June 2013.
- LightRiver, a Ciena Diamond Bizconnect partner for the past three years, provided a turnkey network, project management and technical resources.
- Sovernet is the sub-recipient of a $33.4 million grant from the National Telecommunications and Information Administration’s (NTIA) Broadband Technology Opportunities Program. The grant, along with additional funding, has allowed Sovernet to develop an 800 mile middle mile fiber optic network connecting businesses and over 340 community anchor institutions, including schools, libraries, public safety towers, and State owned buildings.
- “In order to address our customers’ increasing demands for bandwidth, we needed a technology partner that could deliver a reliable, scalable and efficient solution, with the ability to install quickly. After weighing our options, Ciena was the obvious choice – its solutions are proven, and the company’s ability to understand our network needs today, and how best to meet future requirements, all while keeping our costs in check, are unsurpassed.”
- Brandon Peyton, Director of Operations at Sovernet
- “We knew that our packet networking portfolio– recognized as reducing deployment and service activation times by 75% – would be an attractive option to Sovernet given that they had less than a year to deploy a state-of-the-art transport network. Once deployed completely, Sovernet will have the most advanced 100G technology available with a comprehensive solution ready for increasing customer demand. This deployment showcases our ability to deliver a complete solution that allows our customers to quickly build an advanced, intelligent infrastructure that provides greater network efficiency, resiliency and service differentiation.”
- Chad Whalen, Vice President and General Manager, North America Field Operations at Ciena
- A key aspect of Ciena’s OP n architecture and used by more than 150 carriers, wireless service providers and cable operators worldwide, Ciena’s packet solutions improve service agility by concentrating complexities onto fewer platforms, better utilizes the right network element and technology for the job, economically supports higher densities and increases overall network capacity, and enables faster transition from declining legacy services to growing packet services.
- Ciena is the pioneer and market leader of coherent optical technology with greater than 16,000 coherent 40G/100G line interfaces shipped to over 100 customers across the globe, with more than 15 million coherent kilometers deployed.
- Designed for network modernization, Ciena’s 6500 Packet-Optical Platform converges comprehensive Ethernet, TDM, and WDM capabilities into one platform for cost-effective delivery of emerging and existing services—from the access edge to the backbone core. 6500 systems also support directionless and colorless ROADM functionality, which combine with OTN/packet switching to maximize the bandwidth efficiency and flexibility of the overall network.
- Ciena's WaveLogic coherent optical processors enable operators to maximize the reach, capacity and flexibility of networks by enabling seamless upgrades to 40G/100G and beyond. Using innovative coherent receiver, high-speed analog to digital, and custom digital signal processing technology that integrates intelligence into the equipment, Ciena’s technology offers ease-of-deployment, cost efficiency and network investment protection.
- Product Overview: 3930 Service Delivery Switch
- Product Overview: 3931 Service Delivery Switch
- Product Overview: 5150 Service Aggregation Switch
- Product Overview: 6500 Packet-Optical Platform
- Product Overview: OneControl Unified Management System
- Coherent Application Note: Coherent Optical Processing for High-Capacity Networks
- Video: G.8032 – Ethernet Ring Protection Switching
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV