(Nasdaq: EQIX), the global interconnection and data center company, today announced that
is leveraging Equinix International Business Exchange™ (IBX®) data centers across the United States to deploy the first coast-to-coast 100Gbps (Gigabit per second) network.
“As customer demand grows for higher bandwidth solutions, service providers like XO are playing a critical role in helping customers make that transition. Equinix’s Solution Validation Center was instrumental in providing XO and its partners with an innovative way to design, test and launch its 100G service and ensure the highest levels of security, performance and connectivity. In addition, XO is able to propagate its 100G offering to a broader set of customers and penetrate new markets by directly connecting to the robust ecosystems residing in Platform Equinix.”
- XO Communications recently launched the first nationwide 100G broadband connection between Equinix data centers in Silicon Valley and Washington DC. For customers, a coast-to-coast 100G pipe from Equinix’s data centers offers:
- High-capacity access to public, hybrid, private cloud providers
- The ability to optimize their network for increased performance and lower latency
- High-speed content distribution to improve end user experience
- Access to Carrier Business Ethernet services across metros and regions
- XO Communications and its partners, Nokia Siemens Networks and Ciena, deployed the 100G service inside Equinix, leveraging Equinix’s Solution Validation Center which provides customers with an innovative way to test new technologies and ensure application performance from a secure, highly connected, globally distributed platform. The Centers facilitate the testing and adoption of new technologies, validate application readiness on evolving technologies and demonstrate the performance advantages of those technologies when delivered from Platform Equinix. Equinix Solution Validation Centers are located in key global metro regions including, Silicon Valley, Ashburn, and will soon open in London and Singapore.
- XO Communications is the first service provider in the United States to deploy 100 Gbps optical technology across a long haul fiber network on a nationwide basis designed to meet the explosive bandwidth demands driven by cloud services, Internet videos, mobile services and new wireless technologies.
- A long-time Equinix customer, XO is deployed in 47 Equinix IBX data centers around the world. Customers that require increasingly higher bandwidth solutions, particularly cable companies, mobile wireless service providers, and telecommunications companies, will now have direct access to 100G services inside Equinix data centers.
- XO Communications, along with its partners Ciena and Nokia Siemens Networks, will officially commemorate the launch of its 100G network and services on October 4, 2012 at an event at the Equinix data center campus in Ashburn, Virginia.
“XO Communications is leading the way in utilizing optical networking to offer customers the network infrastructure and services needed in order to deliver today’s cloud computing, mobile wireless and Internet video delivery platforms and services. Equinix provides us with a center of innovation from which we can deliver the first nationwide 100G network and we are pleased to expand our relationship with Equinix to support customers that require higher bandwidth solutions.”
- Randy Nicklas, senior vice president and CTO, XO Communications:
Equinix, XO Communications, data centers, 100G