Asian Stocks Flat As US Data Awaited
BANGKOK (AP) â¿¿ Strong retail sales and a better-than-expected jobs report from the U.S. helped boost Asian stock markets Friday.
Government figures showing the number of Americans seeking unemployment benefits for the first time rose to 367,000 last week. That was seen as good news, since it was fewer than economists had forecast.
"With factory orders and initial jobless claims beating consensus, concern about the US economic outlook eased," said analysts at Credit Agricole CIB in Hong Kong in an email commentary. Retail sales also beat forecasts, even though the 5.2 percent drop in orders was the biggest in more than three years.Japan's Nikkei 225 index rose 0.4 percent to 8,860.45. South Korea's Kospi added 0.3 percent to 1,997.84 and Hong Kong's Hang Seng added 0.2 percent to 20,958.21. Benchmarks in Taiwan and New Zealand also rose. Singapore's fell. Later in the day, the Bank of Japan will announce the outcome of its two-day policy meeting. The central bank is widely expected to leave its monetary policy unchanged, Kyodo News reported. The key event this week comes later Friday, when the U.S. Labor Department releases its monthly jobs report â¿¿ a key indicator of growth in the world's largest economy. Economists forecast that the unemployment rate inched up to 8.2 percent in September from 8.1 percent in August. Benchmark oil for November delivery fell 17 cents to $91.54 per barrel in electronic trading on the New York Mercantile Exchange. The contract rose $3.57 to finish at $91.71 per barrel on the Nymex on Thursday. In currencies, the euro fell to $1.3016 from $1.3018 late Thursday in New York. The dollar fell to 78.46 yen from 78.50 yen.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV