The Right Way to Spend Up to $60 on a Light Bulb
And LEDs certainly don't come cheap.
Although entry-level prices have dropped to around $25 a bulb from about $40 a year ago, a comparable CFL costs only around $2 -- and a similar incandescent bulb will set you back just 25 cents.
But Consumer Reports estimates buyers will save around $130 in electricity and replacement costs over a LED's roughly 23-year lifespan if they use one in place of a traditional incandescent bulb.
"We hear people say all of the time: 'Why should I buy
Utilities, lighting manufacturers and government agencies sometimes offer rebates on LEDs to take some of the sting out of the bulbs' high prices. Lehrman recommends checking the websites of bulb makers and local utilities as well as looking at the Database of State Incentives for Renewables & Efficiency. Save your receipts for warranty purposes
Any LED that carries a U.S. government EnergyStar rating for efficiency must include at least a three-year warranty, and some manufacturers warrant their bulbs for as much as a decade. Lehrman recommends you keep your receipt and the box your LED came in so you have it available in case the bulb suffers a premature death. An even better idea: Take photos of the receipt and the box's UPC code with a smartphone, then store them on your phone or download them to your computer for easy retrieval.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV