Rebecca Moak Wins Peet's Fifth Annual Barista Competition. (Photo: Business Wire)
Peet’s Coffee & Tea today conducted its fifth annual National Barista Competition, a battle between three regional finalists from around the country who have competed in a series of preliminary competitions that began in March. Rebecca Moak, from the Peet’s Encinitas store, takes home the honor as Peet’s top barista.
Rebecca Moak wins Peet's Fifth Annual Barista Competition. (Photo: Business Wire)
The finals represent the culmination of a series of store, district and regional competitions that took place over a span of six months and involved more than 150 Peet’s baristas. The finalists were judged on both technical quality and taste, using world barista competition standards, by an expert panel of judges that included four sensory judges, two technical judges and one head judge.
During the competition, Moak and her fellow finalists had 15 minutes to prepare three different types of beverages for each of the four sensory judges, including espresso, a traditional cappuccino and a signature beverage of the barista’s choice.
“All three competitors did an outstanding job,” said Doug Welsh, Vice President of Coffee. “The creativity behind Rebecca’s signature drink, the espresso cortado, beautifully highlighted the nuances of the Arabian Mocha-Java beans she selected, and her pacing and immaculate preparation skills set her apart from the rest.”Prior to the competition, each regional finalist selected a non-profit organization to represent. By virtue of Moak’s victory, Peet’s will make a donation in the amount of $1,000 to the Surfrider Foundation (San Diego chapter). “I am ecstatic. I can’t believe this is real, because I’ve wanted this for such a long time,” said Moak. “The traditional cappuccino is a favorite of my customers, and they are my inspiration and the reason I practice so much.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV