SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. and BOLOGNA, Italy, Oct. 2, 2012 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Theravance, Inc. (Nasdaq:THRX) and Alfa Wassermann S.p.A. announced today that they have entered into an exclusive development and commercialization agreement in certain countries for velusetrag, Theravance's investigational 5-HT4 agonist in development for gastrointestinal motility disorders.
Under the agreement, the companies will collaborate in the execution of a two-part Phase 2 program to test the efficacy, safety and tolerability of velusetrag in the treatment of patients with gastroparesis. If the results of the studies are sufficiently favorable, Alfa Wassermann will have the right to exercise an exclusive option for the development and commercialization of velusetrag in the EU, Russia, China, Mexico and certain other countries. Theravance retains full rights to velusetrag in the US, Canada, Japan and certain other countries.
Financial terms of the transaction include funding of the Phase 2 program by Alfa Wassermann, a $10 million option fee payable to Theravance by Alfa Wassermann if it exercises its option following completion of the Phase 2 program, and potential development, regulatory and sales milestone payments of up to $53.5 million. Theravance is entitled to receive royalties on net sales by Alfa Wassermann ranging from the low teens to 20%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV