- Nez Perce National Historical Park ( Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington) – Peak foliage times range across the rivers, canyons, prairies and mountains of this park which overlaps four states. The short-grass prairies of White Bird Battlefield (ID) and Spalding (ID) peak around mid to late October. The plains and plateaus of the sagebrush steppe eco-region include a site called Buffalo Eddy (WA) where fall foliage also peaks around mid to late October.
- Steamtown National Historic Site ( Pennsylvania) – Take a ride back in time on a 1920s era passenger car, with either a 1917-built steam or historic diesel-powered locomotive, to combine a view of the autumn scenery with the history of railroading. Peak is estimated to be October 7-20.
- Sagamore Hill National Historic Site ( New York) – Visit the site of Theodore Roosevelt's home around mid-October to see the changing colors of oak-tulip tree, hickory and copper beech. Sagamore Hill Day, a Fall Family Festival giving tribute to the agricultural heritage of the site, is conveniently planned for October 20 which is also Theodore Roosevelt's 154 th birthday!
- St. Croix National Scenic Riverway ( Wisconsin, Minnesota) – The St. Croix and Namekagon rivers create a 255-mile corridor with a variety of color from one end to the other, including maple, aspen, oak, and birch trees. Visit this park soon, as leaves are changing quickly, with peak colors from now through mid-October.
- Mammoth Cave National Park ( Kentucky) – Foliage at this park includes the changing colors of black gum, poison ivy, and dogwood, peaking from mid to late October. Join the Friends of Mammoth Cave for a Walk-In-The-Park on October 6, and choose one of three different walks that are sure to suit your interests and abilities while allowing the perfect opportunity to support the park and view a variety of fall colors.
- Vicksburg National Military Park ( Mississippi) – The location of a critical battle in the Civil War, this park has a brief period of fall foliage, usually lasting from mid-October through mid-November. Visitors can see changes in the hickory, pecan, and black walnut trees, among many others. Plan a visit around October 27, and the kids can participate in a " Shape Up, Junior Ranger Owl Discovery Walk." This 1-mile walk teaches more about the park's nighttime creatures, and is the perfect chance to test out this year's Halloween costume.
- Lyndon B. Johnson National Historical Park ( Texas) – Located in the Hill Country of Texas, leaves at this park change from mid-October through the end of November. The sumac, oaks, and haw holly add bursts of fall colors, while the pecans cover the ground and the purple flowers of the gay feather herb enhance the color palette and autumn atmosphere. For a fantastic foliage tour, start with a drive through the LBJ Ranch and tour the Texas White House. Make your way into Johnson City to visit the Boyhood Home and finish out your tour with a walk down the nature trail to the Johnson Settlement and the 1960s cabin and barns.
- Flight 93 National Memorial ( Pennsylvania) – This national memorial, dedicated to the brave passengers and crew of Flight 93 who fought back against terrorism on September 11, 2001, encompasses 2,200 acres of rolling hills, wild flowers, wetlands and old-growth and newly planted trees. Once a coal mine, this location has experienced a breathtaking rebirth as a place of national honor and reflection. Peak viewing times span early to mid-October, but if you can't get there in person, you can enjoy the foliage from the park's Live webcam.
National Park Foundation Unveils The 2012 "National Parks Fall Foliage Guide"
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.