Now U.S. is Stressed While Chinese Consumers Are 'Beacon of Hope'
"Chinese consumers are a beacon of hope," says Michael J. Silverstein, a senior partner in BCG's Chicago office. "They believe they will earn more, they will spend more and their children will have a better life. They don't see a global conflict on the horizon."
"U.S. and U.K. consumers, on the other hand, remain guarded, stressed and anxious," he says. "They are suffering the consequences of four years of recession and continued talk of a 'double dip.' They read the gloomy headlines from around the world and are filled with fear."
The BCG numbers seem to bear that out. About 60% of U.S. consumers and 55% of U.K. consumers are worried about the future, the report states. But only 34% of Chinese consumers feel the same way.
Some other numbers from the BCG study:
- 19% of Chinese respondents said they were not financially secure, compared with 51% of U.S. respondents and 42% of U.K. respondents.
- 51% of Chinese consumers believe that there will be a full economic recovery, compared with 27% of U.S. respondents and 21% in the U.K.
- 86% of Chinese respondents think life will improve over the next 10 years, compared with 67% of U.S. respondents.
- 80% of Chinese think their children will have a better life than they did, compared with just 24% in the U.S. and the U.K.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV