Now U.S. is Stressed While Chinese Consumers Are 'Beacon of Hope'
"Chinese consumers are a beacon of hope," says Michael J. Silverstein, a senior partner in BCG's Chicago office. "They believe they will earn more, they will spend more and their children will have a better life. They don't see a global conflict on the horizon."
"U.S. and U.K. consumers, on the other hand, remain guarded, stressed and anxious," he says. "They are suffering the consequences of four years of recession and continued talk of a 'double dip.' They read the gloomy headlines from around the world and are filled with fear."
The BCG numbers seem to bear that out. About 60% of U.S. consumers and 55% of U.K. consumers are worried about the future, the report states. But only 34% of Chinese consumers feel the same way.
Some other numbers from the BCG study:
- 19% of Chinese respondents said they were not financially secure, compared with 51% of U.S. respondents and 42% of U.K. respondents.
- 51% of Chinese consumers believe that there will be a full economic recovery, compared with 27% of U.S. respondents and 21% in the U.K.
- 86% of Chinese respondents think life will improve over the next 10 years, compared with 67% of U.S. respondents.
- 80% of Chinese think their children will have a better life than they did, compared with just 24% in the U.S. and the U.K.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV