Gold for December delivery was falling $5.20 to $1,778.10 an ounce at the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange. The gold price traded as high as $1,786.60 and as low as $1,772.30 an ounce. The spot price was adding $5.40, according to Kitco's gold index.
Spanish Economic Minister Luis de Guindos said Tuesday that the country would continue to consider whether it would pursue a bailout.
"There's nothing on the docket that would give the Spanish PM an opportunity to formally ask for help, so maybe not today. The euro has not let those rumors get in the way of adding to its gains, albeit minimum gains, versus the dollar," Chuck Butler, president of world markets at EverBank, wrote in a Tuesday note.Silver prices for December delivery were shedding 17 cents to $34.95 an ounce, while the U.S. dollar index was falling 0.28% to $79.59. The euro was rising to $1.2942 after settling late Monday at $1.2888. The Reserve Bank of Australia cut interest rates Tuesday to counteract a dip in commodity prices that have come on the heels of continued slowdown in China. Gold mining stocks were mixed Tuesday. Shares of AngloGold Ashanti (AU) were off 2.6%, while shares of NovaGold Resources (NG) were losing 1.9%. Among other mining stocks, Kinross Gold (KGC) was up 1.6%, and Yamana Gold (AUY) was falling 1%. Gold ETF SPDR Gold Trust (GLD) was adding 0.08%. -- Written by Joe Deaux in New York. >Contact by Email. Follow @JoeDeaux
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV