Thomas Gorman, a former Senior Counsel in the Securities & Exchange Commission's Division of Enforcement, says that "this suit is significant for two reasons. Initially, it is the first to be brought by the President's new working group. Perhaps more importantly, it is the first regulatory suit that focuses on the MBS market which was central to the market crisis and attempts to hold a major player in that market accountable for its action. This contrasts sharply with prior suits brought by the SEC which center on a transaction."
Considering the likelihood of JPMorgan Chase settling the charges, Gorman says "the case was just filed, so it is difficult to assess if they might settle. The fact of the matter is most of these cases do settle."
"Settling this case is complicated by the fact there are a number of class actions out there that have been pending for a while that make similar allegations, so resolving the case with the New York Attorney General could potentially impact the other cases."
Interested in more on JPMorgan? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.
Email. Follow @PhilipvanDoorn
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV