Exxon Mobil (XOM) ($91.80 vs. $86.85 on Aug. 1) continues to have a buy rating according to ValuEngine with a reasonable P/E ratio and is above its 200-day SMA at $85.52.
XOM traded to a new multiyear high at $92.57 on Sept. 25 and has a positive but overbought weekly chart with the 200-week SMA at $74.77. Investors and traders should employ a "buy and trade" strategy between the value level and risky level.
The table of Oils-Energy stocks shows that all 11 stocks have Buy ratings. The most undervalued stock is HAL by 17.7%. WMB is the most overvalued by 50.8%. The worst performer over the past 12 months is APA up 8.5%. WMB was the best performer up 86.3%. All 11 stocks are expected to rally over the next 12 months by 6.1% for WMB to 10.4% for CVX.
Ten of the 11 stocks are higher since Aug. 1. The only stock slightly lower is OXY. Stocks that set their 2012 highs in the first hale of 2012 are APA, APC and OXY. The stocks setting 2012 highs recently are CVX, NOV, WMB and XOM. The others, COP, EOG, HAL and SLB came close to matching first half 2012 highs recently.
This mix of performances could be a symptom of QE Fatigue so reduce positions by booking profits, but maintain core holdings in the oils-energy sector.
At the time of publication, the author held no positions in any of the stocks mentioned.This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV