Romney's Task in the Debates
We have seen worse conditions and should be doing better.
In November of the second year of Ronald Reagan's presidency, unemployment peaked at 10.8% in the wake of double digit inflation and interest rates. By the fall of 1984, the economy was growing at better than 6% and unemployment was down to 7.3%. It reached 5.4% by the time Reagan left office and adult participation was rising.
Obama accuses Romney of returning America to the failed policies of the past, but not all Republicans are like George Bush any more than all Democrats are like Jimmy Carter.
Romney proposes to make American's taxes less complex and fairer -- lower rates and fewer deductions, credits and special favors. He has tangible plans to cut dependence on foreign oil in half and bring back millions of manufacturing jobs from China. All things the president has promised but failed to accomplish.Romney's Web site lays it all out, but he has not been particularly effective in TV ads and public appearances explaining how all that will create jobs and growth. The Obama campaign exploits this by filling in the blanks with half truths and distortions to the point of making this pundit ask: Does Obama believe he is running against George Bush or Mitt Romney? Has the president even bothered to read his opponent's published platform? In the debates, Romney must make his character and plans apparent -- tell voters more about his personal journey and how he will take the country forward. The nation already knows too much about Obama's instincts and unkept promises. Follow @PMorici1 This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV