Today, Kohl’s Department Stores (NYSE: KSS) and TED, the nonprofit organization devoted to “Ideas Worth Spreading,” awarded 18 educators across the country with the opportunity to have their most impactful and influential lesson featured as an animated video on TED’s global TED-Ed website, which was built in part with a $1.25 million contribution from Kohl’s Cares®, as part of the “Lessons Worth Sharing” program. In addition, the winning educators and their nominators will receive a $100 Kohl’s Gift Card.
“As Kohl’s continues its commitment to kids education nationwide, Kohl’s is honored to recognize the amazing 18 educators through the ‘Lessons Worth Sharing’ program,” said Julie Gardner, Kohl’s executive vice president and chief marketing officer. “Whether their lesson is about Newton’s Laws of Motion, horticulture, or the Pythagorean Theorem, we are thrilled to reward these outstanding educators with the opportunity to have their greatest lessons reach and motivate learners around the world.”
School supporters visited Kohl’s Facebook page throughout the month of August and nominated their favorite educator. Nominees included teachers, parents, professionals, and anyone with a lesson worth teaching. The 18 winning educators were selected based on program criteria including, the ability to transform a lesson into a visual story in less than 3 minutes in length and the emotional impact and ability to inspire others, as outlined in the Official Rules.
Winning educators and their proposed lessons include:Jason Shipinski, Elmwood Park, Illinois
- Lesson Subject: Social Studies – Using a backdrop of medieval Japan, groups learn the value of teamwork, negotiation, and collaboration.
- Lesson Subject: Social Studies – In this lesson, students learn to think critically about the character traits of historical figures and how those traits impacted the course world history.
- Lesson Subject: Science and Technology – This lesson teaches students the importance of networking and leveraging social media in today's competitive market for jobs, internships and school admission.
- Lesson Subject: Science and Technology – By relating pop culture to science concepts, this lesson engages students by making a connection between physics and super powers, such as flying and invisibility.
- Lesson Subject: Mathematics – In this lesson, students learn some basic information about how matrix multiplication works and how some simple rearrangements of the matrices can make computation easier.
- Lesson Subject: Social Studies – This lesson allows students to be thoroughly engaged with the historical events of the Space Race – from the tensions between the United States and Soviet Union in the early 1950s to the creation of NASA.
- Lesson Subject: Literature and Language -- Based on a literary discussion of Oscar Wilde’s writing, this lesson demonstrates how the choices we make in life change and form us.
- Lesson Subject: Science and Technology – In this lesson, students use seed planting and observation to gain a grasp of good science methodologies and real-world science applications.
- Lesson Subject: Psychology – Using fine art, students learn the powers of observation and how memory enhances all aspects of our lives – from work to personal relationships – making us more focused, thoughtful, and less judgmental.
- Lesson Subject: Science and Technology – With the help of a demonstration involving a baseball bat and chandelier, students begin to understand quantum mechanics and how particles in nature are so tiny that they are changed by the mere act of being observed.
- Lesson Subject: Science and Technology – Whether it is digging up worms to learn more about soil contents or smelling plants to aid in identification, this lesson teaches aspects of horticulture and plant life.
- Lesson Subject: Science and Technology – This lesson explores the force, power and science behind the cyclical motion of spinning, including an in-depth look at tornados and hurricanes.
- Lesson Subject: Mathematics – In this lesson, students explore the concepts behind the Pythagorean Theorem.
- Lesson Subject: Science and Technology – In this video, students learn the significance of Newton’s Laws of Motion by identifying and refuting classic misconceptions concerning the causes of motion.
- Lesson Subject: Science and Technology – This lesson uses a tug-of-war game to demonstrate the water molecule and water properties.
- Lesson Subject: Other -- Through a personal story, this lesson will show that, despite physical limitations caused by birth defects, students can accomplish their goals and achieve their dreams.
- Lesson Subject: Psychology – This lesson focuses on teaching young people self-worth and self awareness, and helping them understand that they are in charge of their lives and can create the life they want through their choices.
- Lesson Subject: Literature and Language – Using the backdrop of a shopping mall, this lesson teaches the concept of idioms, such as the expression “knowing something like the back of one’s hand.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV