Arqule shares plunged $3.09, or 62%, to $1.90 in Tuesday's pre-market session.
At its current burn rate, Arqule has approximately $1.75 per share in cash.
The phase III "MARQUEE" study enrolled 1,000 patients with newly diagnosed non-small cell lung cancer and randomized them to receive either tivantinib plus Tarceva or Tarceva alone. Tarceva is a currently approved treatment for lung cancer marketed by Roche (RHHBY) and Astellas.After a planned interim analysis, independent monitors concluded that tivantinib would fail to improve overall survival compared to Tarceva -- the primary endpoint of the study. On that basis, Arqule and its partner Daiichi Sankyo decided to discontinue the study. "We are disappointed that the MARQUEE trial did not provide statistically significant results for overall survival in a disease and treatment setting which remains a major unmet medical need," said Paolo Pucci, Arqule CEO, in a statement. Arqule said nothing Tuesday about the status of a separate phase III study of tivantinib being conducted in Asia. That study, known as "ATTENTION" stopped enrolling patients in August due to reports of suspected cases if interstitial lung disease that appeared to be more prevalent in patients treated with tivantinib. -- Reported by Adam Feuerstein in Boston. Follow @AdamFeuerstein
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV