NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- In order to survive in the investing world, and on Wall Street in particular, sometimes it becomes necessary to contradict yourself -- or at least have certain offsetting viewpoints.
The reality is, if you are an investor and you are not mired in a state of perpetual worry, then you are probably not paying attention.
For as well as Pandora has performed of late, it seems inevitable that tech giant Apple (AAPL) is poised to take over its territory. Apple has yet to make a formal announcement about its streaming aspirations and the rumor alone was enough to send Pandora investors running for cover.It is premature to say that Pandora would not be able to coexist with Apple if it indeed decides to pursue streaming, but when have we known Apple to be pleased with second place? Apple is not new to music. What's more, the ease with which its existing mobile devices such as iPods, iPads and iPhones can integrate with IP and within the automobile will render Pandora irrelevant in the manner that CDs have become archaic. People will be able to stream their existing songs on to various platforms all from their existing storage on iCloud. What will then be left for Pandora besides becoming an attractive acquisition target? I can see Google (GOOG) or Microsoft (MSFT) becoming interested, but will they be willing to pay more than what the stock is currently worth? As much as I enjoy listening to Pandora, it is hard to see that the company will have a sustainable future if/when Apple decides it wants its business. I think the stock is a sell. For similar reasons, I have become somewhat concerned about the prospects of Sirius XM (SIRI). However, Sirius' biggest fear at the moment has only to do with the challenge it faces against Liberty Media (LMCA) who wants nothing more than to take over the company.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV