Absent significant returns on its assets or investor equity there is little justification for investors to continue placing such a high bet. This is an area in which NetSuite has failed to produce consistently for investors over the past three years. Remarkably, these same investors appear to not care.
What's more, the fact that it has failed to earn a profit over the past five years, coupled with its string of recent losses, should make you doubt the competence and execution of the company's management.
This makes it even tougher to consider any bullish argument when NetSuite is up against the brilliance of management teams leading Oracle, SAP (SAP) and IBM. Making matters worse is NetSuite will start to face increased competition from Microsoft (MSFT), which has an underrated cloud product of its own called Dynamics CRM. Investors would be wise to appreciate that Microsoft's strong enterprise footprint can easily eat away at NetSuite's mid-sized business market.
It is hard to not give the benefit of the doubt to tech companies in fast-growing industries. However, it's harder to look at certain businesses and overlook the many holes that exist -- particularly such glaring ones as having little to no as margin leverage and profitability.NetSuite's stock is priced for perfection. Based on its history, I just don't think it has the management structure in place to execute perfectly. In a year or two, I would love to be proven wrong. Today, however, given its current fundamentals, owning the stock doesn't make sense. At the time of publication, the author held no position in any of the stocks mentioned. Follow @rsaintvilus This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV